September 12, 2011 Minutes
Meeting on September 12, 2011
Tom Fink, Debbie Murphy, Sharon Kaczmarczyk, Jean Fahey, Debbie Waithe, Cameron Blomdahl, Heather Swensen, Priscilla Bryant, Eric & Kathryn Nemes, Dana Soderby, Elaine Donoghue, Valerie Coyle, Margo Newcombe, Amy Larkin, John Watters, Scott Dalton, Jean Brennan, Eileen Reynolds, Steven Jones, Gretchen McPherson, and Katherine Joyce.
Meeting started at 6:02
Introduction by Tom Fink, SPA President
- Agenda for events for coming year
- Asked the group to consider who would replace him when he steps down after next year
- SPA is in good shape financially, due in part to not sponsoring the After-Prom party last year
- Sold a few thousand dollars worth of spirit cards at the Convocation this year
New Officers voted in
- Eric Nemes, Vice President
- Dana Soderby, Treasurer
- Katherine Joyce, Secretary
New Committee Heads announced
- Debbie Murphy volunteered to head up the Finance Committee
- Deborah Kotchka and Sean Randall to co-chair Auction Committee
- Jean Brennan and Sharon Kaczmarczyk will continue the Hospitality Committee
Update from Eric Heiser:
- There are 215 students in Sturgis West, and 417 in Sturgis East with 3-4 spots left to fill
- Camp Burgess for both schools went well
- There are several big trips this year, including Quebec, Hondurus, Peru, and Italy.
- CAS may plan a trip to South America this year
- Open House coming up, with West at 6:45 on Sept. 21, and East at 6:45 on Sept. 22.
- School photos are coming up soon
- 25 principals from China will arrive on October 5
- Positive news about MCAS coming soon
- Eric will compile a list of financial requests from teachers and administrators for SPA funding
Update from the Treasurer:
- Dana is just getting up to speed, and requested a few days to go over the paperwork, but stated that SPA is doing well financially
- A motion to allocate $6,000 for teacher/administration financial requests was seconded and approved. A Finance Committee was formed to decide on who would get assistance. This new committee will meet within the next few weeks.
- Ideas flowed about ways to get parents and students together, including trivia nights and IB focused international themed events. The group decided to think about these further.
- Motion to dismiss. Meeting ended at 7:21.
Monday, October 3, 2011. Will discuss fund allocation for teachers with input by the Finance Committee.
Minutes by Katherine Joyce.