Nov. 3, 2014
Attending that signed in:
Sean Randall, Theresa Colucci, Katherine Spencer Joyce, Jen Doherty, Kristine Jackson
Meeting started at 6:00
Welcome (President Sean Randall):
- Sean suggested we try to disseminate more information about the IB diploma, and advise parents about how to deal with the IB students in some way.
- Some colleges will get a waiver applying for college
- Maybe some kind of moderated forum.
- Sports banquets are coming up, which is a good time to hype up the auction.
- Start meeting in January for the auction
Headmaster’s Report (Eric Heiser):
- The IB theater group went to NYC as part of an IB workshop a few weeks ago for the program. They will be performing a Mid-Summer Night’s Dream in a few weeks at Harwich Junior Theater.
- Grades will be coming out this week.
- Parent/teacher conferences will be on Tuesday, November 18, 2014.
- Spirit week generated a lot of noise and excitement. It’s one of the activities that keep a sense of community.
- At East, the Healthy Lifestyle presentations were last week, while West will be this week. This is for 9th and 10th graders.
- The Sturgis Board has commissioned a documentary which is in the works for a Sturgis History film. A few founders, and alumni have already been interviewed. They expect 30 or so interviews, and it will last between 30-60 minutes. They expect that it might be completed by the end of the school year.
- Sean asked when the rankings for schools come out. Eric mentioned that we didn’t get on the US News and World Report because we didn’t have enough low income students. Sturgis was in the 90% percentile for college readiness. The state has asked to identify East /West students to determine if one school is better than the other.
- Information nights start in December for 8th grade students. December 1st is the first date.
- There are over 300 students on the wait list for next year’s 10th grade.
- Eric mentioned that there were 10 or 12 applicants to replace him. Eric anticipates possibly one internal candidate. The search committee is looking for someone with international and IB experience. There are two students, four faculty, and four board members on the committee.
- There is a question about who should pay for coffee. Sean suggested that we need to start being a little more proactive and make sure a finance committee approves all expenditures.
Meeting adjourned at 7:00 pm
Minutes by Katherine Spencer-Joyce